Kapha Dosha Types usually have a strong build and great stamina. Kaphas are naturally calm, thoughtful, loving and caring. When Kaphas are balanced they are loyal, patient, supportive and strong. When out of balance, Kapha Dosha Types tend to experience excess weight gain, allergies, water retention and may become stubborn and resistant to change.
Kapha Dosha Diet
Becuase Kapha are heavy, cold and oily, it is best to choose foods that are light, warm and dry. To balance Kapha, choose foods that are cooked, hot & spicy, bitter and astringent. Eat plenty of whole grains, legumes like barley and cooked vegetables. But reduce, cold drinks and frozen deserts such as icecream and popcicles and sweet, sour and salty foods. Avoid red meats, dairy, soda and sugar.
Overview of what foods to favor:
Dairy (Lassi, low fat milk, buttermilk small amount of ghee)
Grains (Barley, Corn, Millet, Rye, Oats, Wheat and Rice)
Legumes (all legumes are good, except tofu)
Oils - in moderation (Mustard, Corn, Seseame)
Spices (all spices, especially turmeric, fresh ginger, mint, basil, black pepper, cumin and oregano, except salt)
Fruits (Grapes, cranberries, raisings, dates, apples, papaya, pomegranate and guava)
Vegetables (Broccoli, peas, tomatos, asparagus, artichokes, carrots, potatoes, celery).
Other Recommendations for Balancing Dosha Kapha
- Rise early! Try to rise by 6am, 6-10AM is Kapha time, rising late can make you sluggish.
- Avoid eating larger quantities of food
- Avoid eating at night
- Try a liquid diet one day a week by juicing fruits, vegetables and drinking pureed veggie soup
- Sip on hot ginger tea with meals to help improve and stimulate digestion
- Follow a regular routine, awaken early in the morning and avoid napping
- Avoid clutter in your life and keep your space, including your office, car and home clean.
- Try to exercise daily to avoid the buildup of toxins. The best exercise for Kapha are those that strengthen and build endurance such as biking, running, swimming, dancing and competitive sports.
- Perform a dry self massage (Garshan) daily to increase circulation.
- Try using a neti pot if you are suffering from sinuses or allergies.